Organic salmon has a ton of benefits, including Omega-3 fatty acids, which contribute to healthy skin, increased immune system function, bones, and hormone balance. Salmon is also rich in amino acids, vitamin A, D, and several B vitamins, as well as the minerals calcium, iron, zinc, phosphorus, and selenium. Salmon can help improve cardiovascular health through Omega-3 fatty acids, which can lower cholesterol, increase metabolism, make your brain more efficient, and improve vision (wow!).
This beneficial sea creature also helps strengthen your muscles, tissues, hormones, enzymes and cells with its pure proteins, vitamins, and essential minerals.
Buying organic salmon is the best way to ensure you get each of these vital nutrients out of your filet. Farm-raised salmon are often subjected to less-than-ideal feeding and living conditions that reduce nutritional content and increase the risk of contamination.
For a stellar entree that makes you smarter and stronger, try this pan-seared salmon, and add a side of bulgur salad, veggies, or quinoa for a nice accompaniment. This particular recipe serves 2 people and requires simple preparation in a standard oven.
What You Need
- Two 6 oz wild Alaskan salmon fillets
- 1/8 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon balsamic fig vinegar
- 2 teaspoons agave
- 1/2 tsp ginger (finely grated or ground)
- 4 basil leaves (chopped)
- 1.5 parsley sprigs (chopped)
- 5 thyme springs (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
How to Prepare
- Thoroughly wash the fish and pat dry.
- Combine thyme, basil, garlic, agave, soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar and ginger in a blender or food processor.
- Evenly cover the fish with the soy glaze in a baking dish.
- Place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least an hour, though overnight is recommended.
- When marinated, preheat oven to 400℉.
- Place the filet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until almost cooked.
- Transfer to a pan or skillet for 5 minutes over medium/high heat.
1. Organicfacts.net. Health Benefits of Salmon.
2. Acupofesp.blogspot.com. Pan Roasted Salmon with Soy-Ginger Glaze.
3. My Organic Recipes. Salmon with Soy Sauce.