Washington Basic Health Program

One of the more important programs in Washington is Basic Health, a state-sponsored program providing low-cost health care coverage through private health plans.

To be eligible for BH, Washington residents must:

  • Be between 0-200% of Federal Income Guidelines (FIG)
  • Not be eligible for free or purchased Medicare
  • Not be receiving Washington Department of Social Services (DSHS) medical services (Medicaid)
  • Not be institutionalized at the time of enrollment
  • Not be attending school full-time in the United States on a student visa; and
  • Not be enrolled in the Washington Health Program

Basic Health has a Wait List

Register for the wait list online

To stay within the appropriated budget, Basic Health is no longer processing incoming applications to determine eligibility and has officially implemented a waiting list. New applicants will be placed on a list behind those already waiting. When space becomes available in the future, Basic Health will release names from the list in date-received order and notify applicants.

The following groups, however, may by-pass this wait list. This includes:

  • Foster Parents
  • Personal Care Workers
  • Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC)
  • Tribal Sponsored Accounts
  • Washington National Guard or Reserves who served in Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom, or Operation Noble Eagle.
  • BH Plus and Maternity applicants who we sent to DSHS and who were deemed ineligible for DSHS programs.
  • Former BH members who disenrolled due to Medicaid coverage who have since lost that coverage and notified BH within 30 days.

To request an application for these programs please call 1-800-660-9840.

To get on the wait list, please call 1-800-660-9840 or register online. Only one person needs to register one time for the entire household. Please use your mailing address and not your emaill address to register. We will notify you when space becomes available.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the wait list
Frequently asked questions about dually eligible members

The Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) may be able to help you with medical assistance.