Choosing a Medical Provider Network
So, you’ve made the choice to purchase health insurance. Time to explore different options in choosing your network! This boils down to your preference of physicians in the area. Not familiar with the area? Look up major hospitals or health care facilities in the nearest proximity, as the best physicians tend to work with the best hospitals.
So, let’s go ahead and assume you have a list of preferred physicians. You can cross reference to see if they are in your network by simply calling their office or contacting the insurance carrier. Also, be sure to ask about how much each visit will cost, since different networks could very well have different rates. Don’t be shy, people in these offices are there to help you.
Another good way to pick your network is based on any preexisting conditions that you or your family might have. If your child has severe asthma, why not pick a specialist to deal with that, and base your network around it?
United Health Care National Network
The United Health One network plans can ease access to high-quality care from more than 754,000 physicians and 5,400 hospitals in all 50 states, and in four international markets.
Cigna National Network:
The Cigna network is quite massive, as well, though a little smaller, obviously, than the United Health One network.
57,000 contracted Pharmacies
Humana One is one of the largest publicly traded health benefits providers in the country with a vast network of healthcare professionals. The network includes more than 544,000 medical providers, more than 4,000 hospitals, and nearly 60,000 pharmacies across the United States.
Aetna National Network
Network: 5,400 hospitals
More than 587,000 of doctors and specialists
Network: Coventry One’s network consists of over 4,700 participating hospitals, over 580,000 allied health care professionals, and over 64,000 in the retail pharmacy network
Blue Cross Blue Shield
Blue Cross Blue Shield National Network
The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) is a national federation of 39 independent, community-based and locally operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies.
As the nation’s oldest and largest family of health benefits companies, the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association prides itself on being the most recognized brand in the health insurance industry along with many other celebrated milestones.
- Represents nation’s oldest and largest family of health benefits companies
- Blue Brands are the most recognized in the health insurance industry
- Headquarters in Chicago with offices in Washington, D.C.
- Approximately 1,000 employees
About BCBS Companies
- 39 Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies
- Collectively employ more than 150,000 employees nationwide
- Among the 20 largest employers in the U.S.
- Healthcare coverage available in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and in Puerto Rico
- Nationwide, more than 90 percent of hospitals and 80 percent of physicians contract with BCBS companies – more than any other insurer