Health Insurance for Individuals with High Medical Expenses
AHCCCS offers health insurance for people with too much income to qualify for any other AHCCCS program and have high medical expenses. For people who qualify, there are no monthly premiums.
The applicant may qualify for this program if the applicant:
- Is an Arizona resident
- Is an United States citizen or a qualified immigrant
- Has a Social Security number or applies for one
- To apply for a Social Security number visit the U.S. Social Security Administration
- Make a copy of the form submitted as confirmation of applying for a Social Security Number
- Cooperates with the Division of Child Support Enforcement if needed
- Applies for potential income that may be available, such as unemployment, pensions, and Social Security
- Has assets under $100,000
- This includes the equity in a home
- Only $5,000 of the assets can be liquid, such as a bank account or cash
- Has family income under the income limit shown below after AHCCCS subtracts allowable medical expenses from this month or last month.
This chart shows how much money a family can receive each month before taxes (gross monthly income) and other deductions are subtracted.
It is important to know that if someone is working, AHCCCS may subtract an amount for work expenses and child care.
|Family Size||Gross Monthly Income Limit|
|Each additional person $124|
Income limits change every April 1.
Please use the Applicants Menu on the left for information about how to apply, covered services, available health plans, and additional resources.